Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Hurricane Katrina

Since large hurricanes such as Hurricane Irma and Hurricane Harvey which both hit the Southeast Gulf Coast, Irma hit recently Florida and Harvey hit Texas no less than a few weeks ago. One weather note: global warming has nothing to do with with real active hurricane seasons.I suspect that climate change rabble doesn't have nothing to do with large Typhoons in the Pacific either.

I've been tracking hurricanes in the Atlantic off Africa since college,during my thirty years I learned alot about hurricanes. Mind you no matter how large a small a hurricane is,a storm like like this wrecks lives,homes,disrupts communities. Uproot residents from thier homes. Just a reminder.

Hurricane Katrina I did experince. I went to work that Monday morning and already she came ashore somewhere along the Ms/La coasts. Up here in Vicksburg,Ms it didn't escape the storm's wrath. Power went out and rain real hard. I swore I saw a twister spinning some trees. Trees were already diwn all over the place. One image that stands out in my mind: a large oak tree in our pasture was uprooted by strong winds and layed on its side. Around the house of we were safe. No tornados just wind and rain. When Katrina cleared out the following mornng was clear and hot. But around 7am I got up went outside and to see what damage was done. The only damage done was our old television tower was pulled and uprooted by the wind. Since we had satellite as a replacement we just needed power to get it working. When a strong Cat3 hurricane comes ashore especially a large one like this one one would expect damage everywhere. But in someplaces the damage wasn't as much as you think.
Now the real damage done by Katrina had been on the Gulf Coast. Houses swept away from the storm surge which batter the Ms Coast and New Orleans flooded. Now I fault the dumb news media national for not covering the Ms coast. They miss a story where everyone was helping each other out instead on focusing on New Orleans too much. But New Orleaans was unprepared for such a hurricane like Katrina. Now since Irma and Harvey came ashore as Cat4 storms could New Orleans withstand a strong Cat4 or Cat5?
 Since Katrina I went down to the Ms Coast on vacation for my first time. I visted the Hurricane Katrina/Camille Muesum in Long Beach. Like the 9/11 Memorial in lower Manhattan the curators had gathered every scrap of history on the storms. It even had a marker within the muesum on how high the storm sturges were. So if you ever a tourist in the gulf coast part of the state I strongley reccomend it. U would get a better understanding of the hurricane there. If New Orleans has a hurricane katrina museum I would visit it too.
 One more note: when I drove along the coast in the various small towns where Katrina you can still see her marks.

No comments:

Post a Comment