Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Being a GenXer in The Time of Pandemic

WE LIVE IN INTERESTING TIMES--CHINESE PROVERB...

For years,decades we Generation Xer's have been ignored.
Then on the Yahoo News Portal several news suddenly appeared. So I linked into one of them.
It appears some journos have discovered who are resilent during quarantine. Yes,resilient. The word in the headline leaped out like neon on a movie marquee.

It now appears the generation ignored,the generation I'm damn proud to be a in,has emerged as the strong one. Where Millinniels are in a panic,GenZer's are partying for spring break on a Florida beach as the Wuhan Virus is reaking havoc,chaos and death upon the world,us GenXer's are doing and holding up rather well during ordered quaratines,shut ins.
A crash history: a majority of us Generation Xer's have been shut ins,latchkey kids while our parents worked. Some of us took care of ourselves: did our schoolwork, took care of the chores around the house while some of us grew up to adulthood.
As for myself,born in 1961,when  JFK was president to my adulthood when President Ronald Reagon was elected at the beginning of the 80s. I do remember the 70s during my high school years and I recall some of Watergate,the Iranian Hostage crisis which all happened under Jimmy Carter. I can even tell you the 70s was a dull decade unlike the 1960s. Yet as I sailed throught the late 70s,I graduated from High School Class of 1980. What I recall about this time the spring of 80, I gor my braces off and everyone in my senior class saw me very differently. Including my close friends. You see I graduated on a Friday Night in May of 1980. For that Saturday,the day after graduated from high school, Mount St. Helens exploded. I saw it on Saturday 530 network news. At that time cable was in infancy; there was no internet nor smartphones. The world was so retro then and fun.
 The 80s this GenXer like all GenXer's came of age in. I can go on about the 1980s it was a cool decade to go to college in. I graduated Hinds Jr College Class 83. I have an Associate Arts degree and I have been to University but I didn't complete my degree. By heart I'm a film buff and film was my major; yet in college I studied Advertising,Art Appreciation,creative writing,Journalism and television broadcasting too. During the 90s my aunt in Texas introduce me to travel and on my first trip to mexico,Puerto Vallarta, was my first trip outside the US. That was just the beginning. In the early 2000s,I've traveled to Europe twice,the Caribbean and Key West,South Florida. The world opened my eyes. For everytime I came home from a trip, I would where I was born,Vicksburg Ms, very differently. Travel will do that to your mind.
 As for this quarantine,I'm doing all right. I'm not depressed,not angry. I'm actually shy but in person I'll talk your ear off. I keep my mind occuppied in a variety of ways.
  U other GenXer's on the Wuhan Virus front: keep up the battle where ever you are. Just remember we're resilient.

No comments:

Post a Comment