Monday, April 20, 2020

How Did I learn I'm GenXer

The wayback memory data server kicks in. A supped up Ferrari Tesstrosa shoots through the neve data centers searching for something specific. The automated Testrosa stops its outolights flip open and with laser precesion it finds the memory light data of decade. The Testrosa fires the nerve light data back to the WayBack Memory server and the red lights spark up and down the server nerves..
The nerve data file opens...
It's vague on location but specifics come to light:
The 90s the last decade of the Twentith Century....

I was in bookstore I don't remember its name as for the location all I can it's vague at best. It could be in Bookland in Pemberton Mall now gone. Or another bookstore in Jackson,Ridgeland Ms but all I know it was a bookstore. That's where I came across it. At the time when bookstores,box bookstores in retail were still around. I don't recall what year but I know the decade for I know it was the 90s. Some ten years from the beginning of the new Millinnium. I was in early 30s too. But since I love to read I would explore a bookstore like Indiana Jones would explore archeligical site. In my case something new and interesting.
 I don't recall what section of the bookshelves that I came across this particular book. A paperback. I don't recall the author's name but I remember the title:
  GENERATION X. 

So I browse through the book. Taking my time. What I read was interesting as I read some then I made the connections. They leaped out. I can't recall what I read once done I bought it. But the author too made mistakes in his own book too.

When it came to us Xer's as I read it, he didn't want to count in those of us born in 1961. I later learned for example that those of us born in in 61 was problematic for Generation experts. Frankly I in my opioin the Gen Experts who study and research generations make mistakes. Some have called those of us born in 1961 "The Filler Generation." It's a term I disagree with. For I saw it in yahoo coments on a news article I read. At the time Generation X was written in thee 90s, some generation experts had already grouped those us born in 1961 as Baby Boomers. That's where I caught the mistake. I don't want to touch on much details about it but my memory had recalled then that had been young child growing up in the 60s, that I wasn't part of Woodstock,the anti Vietnam War movement and other movesments that made the 1960s a turbelant decade.
 Witthin ths book too I made the connection to the traits which I couldn't remember. But the author was funny too,wrote that some of us Xer's well in our older age would be enjoying hip hop and rap.
 Er wrong.
Well this older Gen Xer enjoys 80s Miami Vice, Jan Hammer and cool 80s pop tune like The Boys of Summer by Don Henley. By the way I still love movies on the screen too and cool iTunes soundtracks.
I'll wrap up with this nickname my dad gave me: A Gentleman and A Scholar. One word of advice to you GenZer's who called us GenXer's The Karen Generation. You don't know how a large majority of us grew up nor do you know our personal experinces. Get my Drift?
 So ponder the phrase.
For now signing off.


No comments:

Post a Comment